Juicing: The Juicy Details On The Latest Trend
Sign Up for Our Healthy Living Newsletter
Thanks for signing up!
It’s no secret that juicing is one of the hottest trends in health and weight loss these days. Whether you’re in a sports club or a supermarket, there is some form of juice everywhere. Celebrities like Gwyneth Paltrow, Kourtney Kardashian, and Nicole Richie all swear by the benefits. Do you need to be juicing? Will blending tons of kale and cucumber improve your health? The answer is….maybe.
If you purchase store bought juices, they are often “cold-pressed”. This is a process where the fruits and vegetables are placed in a machine that extracts the maximal amount of juice by slowly pressing and smashing produce without having the blades heat up. The theory behind this process is that heat created by typical blenders or juicers reduce the enzymes and nutrients found in the fruits and vegetables. This theory is widely debated, and others note that cold-pressing can still generate some heat production during the process.
Whether you choose to blend up your own creations or purchase juice from the store, it is important to understand the good and bad of juicing.
Benefits of Juicing:
- Juices can add significant amounts of fruits and vegetables to your diet which is ideal if you generally do not consume a lot of produce
- If you have a good blender, the juices are relatively easy to make
- There are no preservatives or refined sugars in juice, and it tastes great because the fruit creates a natural sweetness
- Juices contain a significant amount of anti-oxidants and vitamins that many of us lack in the standard American diet.
The Not-So Juicy Side:
- Most juices made of fruits and vegetables lack a significant amount of protein. If you choose a cleanse that sends you multiple juices to drink throughout the day they may also include a thicker milk/shake in order to get adequate protein.
- The sugars from fruit can add up. It is important to keep in mind that juice is not necessarily calorie free. This can be a problem when too many fruits are added for sweetness.
- If you do choose to go the cold-pressed route there is a significant loss of fiber, which is a vital component of sustained weight loss and a healthy diet.
- If you choose to only drink juice without any other meals, you may lose weight but the weight loss is never permanent. You will likely lose water weight but be prepared to gain it back when you consume regular foods.
Who should be cautious when Juicing:
- Diabetics are more sensitive to changes in blood sugar levels. Without an adequate amount of fiber and protein, the sugars from fruits and the potential for hypo and hyperglycemia can both be concerning and dangerous. If you choose to incorporate a few juices into your day, speak with your personal physician first.
- Individuals using blood-thinning medications like Coumadin can significantly affect their blood levels by consuming juice. This is because leafy green vegetables contain high amounts of Vitamin K, a vitamin that helps blood to clot. Coumadin directly interacts with this function and increasing or decreasing the amount of vitamin K in the body can have significant consequences. You may be able to incorporate juices into your diet but it must be consistent, and you should discuss it with your doctor beforehand.
If you’re planning on doing a juice “cleanse” with nothing but juice you may want to rethink your decision. In reality, it is important to makeover your diet by swapping French fries and candy for fruits and vegetables. Adding a juice to your daily diet is a great way to help you get nutrients and minerals that you may be lacking, and it can also improve your skin and bowel health. What it won’t do is magically help you lose and keep off the 10 pounds you have been trying to lose.
Have you tried juicing? Let us know what your experience was in the comments.
Video: JUICE FAST 2018 | Getting Started
Tips for Organizing Your Health Insurance Paperwork
Natural Food Poisoning Remedies That Actually Work
The Problem With Frozen Yogurt
Stock Up on Serious Style at J Crew’s Winter Coat Shop
23 Understated Ways to Wear Neon Makeup
Feverall Jr. Strength Reviews
How to Make Fabric Covered Beads
How to Get a Google Voice Phone Number
How to Turn a Bookshelf Into a Vertical Garden
This 10-Minute Kayla Itsines GIF Workout Tones Your Entire Body