How to Open EPUB Files
This wikiHow teaches you how to open and read an EPUB (also known as "eBook") file on your computer or mobile platform, including a Kindle. If opening the EPUB file sounds like too much work for your preferred platform, you can also convert the file into a PDF, which is readable on virtually any platform. Keep in mind that eBooks which have DRM protection typically cannot be converted or moved to different platforms.
Consider using Microsoft Edge.If you're using a Windows 8 or Windows 10 computer, Microsoft Edge—a pre-installed browser—can be used to open EPUB files. To do so, simply double-click an EPUB file, then scroll through as needed.
- Microsoft Edge's user interface isn't very sophisticated. If you'd prefer to use a dedicated program to open your EPUB files, skip this step and read on.
Open the Calibre website.Go to in your computer's web browser. Calibre is a program which allows you to open and collect EPUB files.
- One of the benefits that Calibre has over Microsoft Edge is that you can create and access a library of EPUB files from within the Calibre program.
ClickDOWNLOAD.It's a tab in the upper-right side of the page. Doing so takes you to the Downloads page.
ClickWindows.This option is on the left side of the page.
ClickDownload calibre.It's a link near the top of the page. The Calibre setup file (which is an EXE file) will download onto your computer.
- You may be prompted to select a save location or verify the download before the setup file actually downloads.
Install Calibre.Double-click the Calibre EXE file, then do the following:
- Check the "Accept" box.
- ClickYeswhen prompted.
Launch Calibre.When prompted, make sure that the "Launch calibre" box is checked, then clickFinishat the bottom of the window. This will start the Calibre reader.
- You can also launch Calibre at any other time by openingStart , typing incalibre, and clickingcalibre - E-book managementin the results.
Navigate through Calibre's setup.ClickNextat the bottom of the first two pages, then clickFinishat the bottom of the third page. This will complete the Calibre installation and open Calibre's user interface.
- Skip this step if Calibre opens to the user interface.
ClickAdd books.This green button is in the upper-left side of the window. A File Explorer window will open.
Add an EPUB file to Calibre.Click the EPUB file that you want to add to your library, then clickOpenin the bottom-right corner of the window.
- You can select more than one EPUB file at once by holding down while clicking each EPUB file that you want to select.
Open an EPUB file.Double-click a book's title in the main window to open it. The book's text and images will appear in a new window; you can scroll up or down to page through the book as needed.
Select an EPUB file.Go to your EPUB file's location, then click the EPUB file that you want to open.
Click .It's in the top-left corner of the screen. Clicking it prompts a drop-down menu.
SelectOpen With.This option is near the top of theFiledrop-down menu. Selecting it prompts a pop-out menu to appear.
ClickiBooks.It's in the pop-out menu. Doing so will both open iBooks and add the EPUB file to the iBooks library.
- You can also open iBooks and then click and drag the EPUB file into the iBooks window.
Open your EPUB file.Double-click the EPUB file's book title in the main iBooks window to open it. Your EPUB file's book will open in a new window, at which point you can scroll up or down through the book as needed.
- You may first have to click theAll Bookstab in the upper-left side of the window.
Open the EPUB file's location.Open Files, tapBrowse, select the proper storage option (e.g.,On My iPhone), and select the folder in which you saved the EPUB file (if applicable).
Tap the EPUB file.Doing this will prompt the EPUB file to add itself to iBooks, which is a free app that came installed on your iPhone or iPad.
- If you deleted iBooks from your iPhone or iPad, you can .
Tap theMy Bookstab.You'll find it in the bottom-left corner of the screen. Doing so brings up a list of your current books, one of which should be your EPUB file's book.
Open the EPUB file.Tap the name of the EPUB book to do so. Once the EPUB file is open, you can scroll through it by swiping left or right.
- Once the EPUB file is in your iBooks library, you can re-open the EPUB file at any time by opening the iBooks app, tappingMy Books, and selecting the title of the book that you want to read.
Install Google Play Books.Google Play Books is a free e-book reader for Android that can read EPUB files.
- Open Google Play Store
- Tap the search bar.
- Type ingoogle play books
- TapGoogle Play Books
- TapACCEPTwhen prompted.
Open Google Play Books.Tap the Google Play Books app icon, which resembles a blue triangle.
Tap .It's in the top-left corner of the screen. A menu will appear.
TapSettings.This option is in the middle of the menu. Doing so opens the Settings page.
Check the "Enable PDF uploading" box.This makes it possible to add both PDF and EPUB files.
Send the EPUB file to your Android.If the EPUB file is on your computer, you’ll need to get it onto your Android. The most effective way to do this is to email yourself the file:
- Open your email inbox.
- Create a new email with your email address in the "To" text field.
- Select the "Attachments" icon (usually represented by a paperclip).
- Select your EPUB file.
- Send your email.
Open your Android's email app.In most cases, this will be Gmail.
Open the EPUB email.You should see the EPUB file attached at the bottom of the email, though you may need to scroll down first.
Tap the EPUB attachment.Doing so will prompt Google Play Books to open and import the EPUB file.
- You can also tap the "Download" icon on the EPUB file and then tap the downloaded file's name to do this.
Read your e-book.When the book is finished uploading to Google Play Books, you’ll arrive at theEBOOKSfolder in your library. Tap the book's title to start reading it.
- To see a list of your uploaded EPUB books next time you open Google Play Books, tap theLibrarytab at the bottom of the screen, then tapEBOOKSat the top of the screen.
Transferring an EPUB file to a Kindle
Convert the EPUB to a MOBI file.Before an EPUB file can be read on a Kindle Fire or Paperwhite, you’ll need to convert the file to the MOBI format. You can do this by going to the EPUB Converter site at and then doing the following:
- ClickAdd File...
- Select your EPUB file.
- ClickStart Upload
- Click the MOBI file's link in the "Download Link" column.
Copy the MOBI file.Click the MOBI file to select it, then pressCtrl+C(Windows) orCommand+C(Mac) to copy the file.
Connect your Kindle to your computer.Plug the charging end of your Kindle's charger cable into the Kindle, then plug the USB end of the cable into your computer.
- If you're using a Mac, you may need a USB 3.0 to USB-C adapter in order to connect the cable to your Mac.
Open the Kindle.To do so:
- Windows- OpenStart , clickFile Explorer , clickThis PC, and double-click your Kindle's name.
- Mac- OpenFinder , then click your Kindle's name on the left side of the window.
Open the "Documents" folder.Double-click the "Documents" folder that's in your Kindle's folder to do so.
- You may first need to unlock the Kindle and/or double-click the "Internal Storage" folder.
- If you're using a Kindle Fire, you'll open the "Books" folder instead.
Paste in the MOBI file.PressCtrl+V(Windows) orCommand+V(Mac) to do so.
Wait for the MOBI file to finish transferring.When the indicator light on your Kindle's cable stops blinking, you can proceed.
Eject your Kindle.This will ensure that your files are saved before you remove the Kindle from your computer:
- Windows- Click in the lower-right corner of the screen, click the flash drive-shaped icon, and clickEjectin the resulting menu.
- Mac- Click the "Eject" triangle to the right of the Kindle's name in Finder.
Converting an EPUB to PDF
Save your EPUB file to a familiar folder.You can convert your EPUB file into a PDF file, which can be opened on most platforms without special software.
- If you have several EPUB files, you may want to move them all to the same folder to make it simple to convert multiple files.
Open the EPUB Converter website.Go to in your computer's web browser.
ClickEPUB to PDF Converter.It's a link below the "EPUB Converter" heading in the upper-left corner of the page.
Scroll down and clickAdd File….This yellow button is near the middle of the page. Doing so will open a window in which you can select your EPUB file.
Select your EPUB file.Go to the location in which you saved your EPUB file, then click the file in question.
Click .It's in the bottom-right corner of the window. Doing so uploads your file to the EPUB Converter site.
ClickStart Upload.You'll find this yellow button to the right of the EPUB file's name. The file will begin to upload to the EPUB Converter site; once you see the file name turn into a blue link with ".pdf" at the end of it, you may proceed.
- The file may take a few minutes to upload.
Download the PDF.Click the blue PDF's name link in the "Download Link" column to do so. The PDF will download onto your computer, where you can double-click it to open it in your computer's default PDF reader.
- Depending on your browser's settings, you may first need to select a save location or verify the download before the PDF will download.
QuestionCan I read epub books on my nook?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerAs long as it isn't DRM-protected, you can read an EPUB on your Nook. Hook your Nook up to your computer and drag the EPUB file to the "My Documents" folder on the Nook.Thanks!
Double-click the epub to open it in Edge.
1. Right-click the file.
2. ClickOpen with.
1. Tap the file to open it iniBooks.
2. TapMy Books.
3. Select the epub.
1. OpenPlay Books.
2. Open the menu and tapSettings.
3. SelectEnable PDF uploading.
4. Tap the epub to read it.
- You can find free (non-DRM) EPUB books on sites like ''projectgutenberg.org'' and ''epubbooks.com''.
- Most readers do not support files protected by Digital Rights Management (DRM), such as books purchased from the Nook or Kindle store. To read DRM-protected EPUBs, you’ll have to remove DRM. While possible, this is not legal in most countries.
Sources and Citations
In other languages:
Deutsch: , Italiano: , Español: , Português: , Русский: , 中文: , Français: , Bahasa Indonesia: , Nederlands: , العربية: , ไทย: , Čeština: , हिन्दी: , Tiếng Việt: , 한국어: , 日本語:
of How to Open EPUB Files was reviewed on March 27, 2019.
Oct 21, 2019
Aug 17, 2019
Jul 28, 2019
Yasser Al bitar
Aug 5, 2019
Oct 29, 2019
Jun 24, 2019
Nov 15, 2019
Oct 22, 2019
Nov 3, 2019
Jun 28, 2019
Feb 28, 2019
Video: How to convert EPUB file to PDF format
A Miracle Child Grows Up and Faces Diabetes and Disability
How To Make Granola Thats Actually Healthy
How to Add References to Wikipedia
Help Prevent Diabetes by Eating Fruit—Not Drinking Juice
Billionaire dethrones Trump as the US richest politician
Deze sterrenbeelden zijn de grootste stijliconen
Julia Roberts Is the New Face of Givenchy (And LooksAmazing)
20 Really Beautiful Celebrities with Long Hairstyles
Does Your Doc Use Electronic Health Records
7 Best Sports Bras
Other Important Terms
50 Quill Tattoo Designs For Men – Feather Pen Ink Ideas
The Palette Of Trends: Blue Black Hair And Dark Blue Hair Shades Are About To Inspire You
Theres a Reason We Feature This Fashion Blogger All the Time