How to Lose 5 Pounds in 5 Days
Many people are interested in dropping a little weight. This is especially true if you have a special occasion coming up like a class reunion, a holiday party or wedding. Although very quick weight loss in short periods of time is typically not recommended,you may be able to lose enough to boost your confidence or help your clothes fit a little better. Although losing 5 pounds in five days is unlikely, with the right dietary changes and exercise plan, you may be able to lose some weight and feel a little lighter. Remember: this is a five-day plan, and should be done for no longer. Sticking to this plan for longer than five days can be seriously harmful to your health.
Modifying Your Diet for Quick Weight Loss
Cut calories.In order to lose weight, you’ll need to cut out some calories from your diet.
- Typically, cutting out about 500 calories daily will result in a 1-2 pound weight loss per week.However, if you’re aiming to lose 5 pounds in 5 days, you may need to cut out more calories.
- Most health professionals recommend not limiting calories to less than 1200 daily. When you consume less than this amount is difficult to get adequate amounts of the required nutrients you need each day.
- However, if you want to follow a very low-calorie diet just for a few days, you most likely will not have many adverse side effects.
- Typical side effects of very low-calorie diets (diets that are about 800 – 1,000 calories daily) include tiredness, fatigue, headache, mental fogginess, and lack of energy.Always consult your physician first. Do not start a very low-calorie diet without medical supervision.
Restrict carbohydrates.Studies have shown that one of the quickest diets for weight loss is a low-carb diet.It helps you lose more fat mass and also helps you lose some water weight. Although this is not recommended as a long-term diet, following this plan for five days should be safe.
- A low-carb diet is one that limits or restricts foods that contain carbohydrates. These types of foods include grains, starchy vegetables, dairy products and fruits.
- It’s not healthy or smart to avoid all foods containing carbohydrates.You’d be limiting four out of the five food groups and be unable to consume the vital nutrients your body needs to function.
- Limit foods that are mostly carbohydrates and do not provide a significant amount of other nutrients. These include grains and starchy vegetables. Nutrients from these foods can also be found in other food groups.
- If you choose to include some carbs, aim to only have one to two servings daily. This would be 1 ounce or ½ cup of grains, ½ cup of fruitor 1 cup of starchy vegetables.
Make your meals lean and green.For fast weight loss, limit carbs and make most of your meals “lean and green.” This means focusing mostly on lean proteins and green or non-starchy vegetables.
- Include a serving or two of lean protein at every meal. One serving is typically about 3 – 4 oz or the size of a deck of cards.
- Lean protein foods include eggs, poultry, lean beef, pork, nuts, and seafood. Low-fat dairy products and legumes can also count as lean protein, but you may be limiting these due to their carb content.
- The other half of your meal should be a non-starchy vegetable. Aim for one to two servings at each meal. One serving is 1 cup or 2 cups of leafy greens.
- Examples of meals fitting the “lean and green” criteria include grilled salmon over a spinach salad, stir-fry vegetables and grilled chicken or zucchini spaghetti and meatballs.
Drink adequate fluids.It’s very important to stay adequately hydrated – especially when you’re trying to lose weight quickly. The myth is that dehydrating the body is a good way to lose water weight, but limiting salty foods and cleansing out the body with plain water is what can help reduce excess "water weight."
- Hydration plays a very important role in your overall health. It helps maintain your body temperature, protect your organs and even lubricates your joints.
- Most health professionals suggest consuming about eight to 13 glasses of water or other hydrating fluids daily.This amount will vary depending on your age, gender and activity level.
- In addition to maintaining adequate hydration status, drinking fluids can also aid in weight loss. It’s been suggested to drink one to two glasses of water before a meal to help cut down on your portions or if you’re feeling hungry.
- Aim to only consume no-calorie, hydrating beverages like water, flavored water, unsweetened coffee and tea. Pass on drinks like juices, sports drinks, energy drinks, sodas, and alcohol.
Limit snacking.If you’re interested in losing 5 pounds in five days, it’s best to cut out or significantly limit snacking.
- Although snacks can be a part of a healthy diet, they may not allow you to lose the 5 pounds in five days.
- If you’re choosing to snack, stick with your focus of “lean and green.” Choose foods that are higher in protein and lower in carbohydrates.
- Also, keep snacks to 150 calories or less. This will help keep you on track with your overall calorie limit.
- Appropriate snacks include 1 hard boiled egg, 3 oz of beef jerky, 2 ounces of cheese or 1 high-protein bar/shake.
Limit gas-producing foods.Some foods are more prone to causing gas or bloating. Although this doesn’t necessarily account for weight loss on the scale, limiting these foods can help you feel slimmer.
- When digested, some foods create excess gas.This may make you feel or look bloated and make it more difficult to fit into or feel comfortable in a tighter pair of pants or skirt.
- Gas-forming foods include broccoli, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, beans, lentils, garlic, and onions.
- Chewing gum or drinking carbonated beverages can cause also unwanted gas or bloating.
Including Physical Activity to Support Quick Weight Loss
Go for 150 minutes of cardio weekly.In addition to cutting calories, you can use cardio exercise to help increase your overall calorie burn or deficit for the day.
- The USDA recommends performing a minimum of 150 minutes of cardiovascular exercises each week, or working out for about 30 minutes five days a week.
- Aim to do moderate-intensity activities. These are exercises that should cause you to sweat, be slightly out of breath and feel tired when you’re finished.Depending on your current fitness level, there may be a variety of activities that could be considered moderate intensity for you.
- Examples of exercises include walking, jogging/running, swimming, using the elliptical or rowing machine, doing an aerobics class or dancing.
- You can increase this to 300 minutes weekly if you can. There is no safe upper limit for exercise; however, note that if you’re following a very restricted diet or a very low-calorie diet, you may feel too tired to exercise or fatigue quickly when you’re exercising. If you notice these side effects be mindful and take care. If you’re feeling pain or any discomfort, ease off on the intensity of your exercise. If the pain is severe, seek medical assistance.
Increase your baseline activity.In addition to cardio exercises, it may also be helpful to increase your baseline activities. These are things you do every day and can increase with minor changes.
- Baseline activities (like doing household chores or walking to and from your destinations) do not burn many calories by themselves; however, if you ramp up your baseline activity all day long you may see significant increases in your total daily calorie burn.
- Think about ways you can move more and be more active. This might mean parking farther away from your destination, taking the stairs, standing or doing exercises during TV commercial breaks or standing at your desk.
Try HIIT workouts.High-intensity interval training (HIIT) is a newly popular type of exercise. It burns a large quantity of calories in a shorter time and also helps increase your overall metabolic rate.
- Typical HIIT workouts are shorter in duration than steady cardio (like going for a jog) and involve short bursts of very, very high-intensity activity, followed by short bursts of more moderate-intensity activity.
- HIIT workouts are typically only geared towards those individuals who are already maintaining a fitness level to support higher-intensity activities or are active on a regular basis.
- You can do a variety of cardio activities for an HIIT workout. For example, on a treadmill you could alternate between jogging and sprinting or running uphill.
Recover in the steam room.Many gyms now offer a steam room or sauna for their customers. This may help you relax and recover from your workout but also support a quick weight loss.
- As you sweat you may lose excess water weight. This can help the numbers on the scale drop more quickly and may make you feel less bloated.
- Relax in the steam room for 10 – 20 minutes. Spending more time than this may cause you to become dehydrated.
- Be very careful when using the steam room, especially for weight loss. This is not a recommended method for weight loss and should be used with caution.
- In addition, excess sweating can lead to dehydration which can be dangerous. Always follow a steam room sensation with plenty of hydrating fluids.
QuestionIs this suitable for 12-year-old children?
Personal TrainerPersonal TrainerExpert AnswerNo. Young people, children and teens are still growing bones and organs. It is especially important for young people to maintain calcium intakes and for most of us, that means consuming dairy. Young people are encouraged to be more active, and can safely participate in more vigorous physical activity for an hour each day. If you are under 18 years of age and trying to lose weight, consult a doctor, eliminate sodas and junk food, and be more physically active.Thanks!
QuestionCan eating fruits and veggies, drinking water, and doing house work help us lose weight?
Personal TrainerPersonal TrainerExpert AnswerTo lose weight, vegetables are lower in sugar, so they area better choice than fruit. A guideline to follow would be to consume three servings of vegetables for every one piece of fruit. That keeps the sugar and therefore carbohydrate count low. Remember that protein with every meal is a necessary component for weight loss. Otherwise, you will lose muscle mass, have no energy and you will be starving hungry. If you can work up a sweat and keep the heart pounding during housework, then it will help you burn calories and lose weight.Thanks!
QuestionIs it healthy for a 14 year old to do this?
Personal TrainerPersonal TrainerExpert AnswerThat depends on your starting weight. If you are obese, your body may be able to sustain itself for five days on this plan. Generally it is not recommended for teens to lose weight quickly. Try for one pound a week for better, long term weight loss.Thanks!
QuestionWill taking detox drinks help me lose weight quickly?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerUsing detox drinks can be dangerous. Instead, focus on limiting your calorie intake, consuming more proteins and vegetables, drinking water and getting exercise to lose weight quickly.Thanks!
QuestionHow old should I be to lose 5 pounds in 5 days?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerTrying to lose weight fast isn't a great idea at any age. Focus on changing your lifestyle by exercising and eating more healthily rather than making your goal rapid weight loss.Thanks!
QuestionIs this suitable for children?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerMany of these tactics are probably too extreme for a child. Just make sure they are moderately active and maintaining a healthy diet.Thanks!
QuestionCan I eat fries and Pringles if I want to lose weight?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerFries and Pringles are foods that you should try to avoid when losing weight. Once you've gotten down to your ideal weight, you can incorporate these foods back into your diet in moderation, but it's best to cut them out entirely when you're actively losing weight since they are so unhealthy and high in calories.Thanks!
QuestionWhat do I do if people are calling me fat in school?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIgnore them, it may hurt but honestly, people can be jerks. Just stand tall and do well in school, ignore the rude people around you and have fun with the people you like.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I get more protein as a vegetarian?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerEat nuts and seeds, beans, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese and leafy greens.Thanks!
QuestionWhat can I eat if I want a diet that is low in carbs and high in protein?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerCheck out the paleo diet!! You eat whenever you're hungry and it's low carb and high protein and very healthy.Thanks!
Will this work for an elderly person?
What if you weigh over 100 pounds and you want to lose weight?
- Get plenty of sleep. Your body is still burning calories and you'll feel more energized, making it easier to stick to your plan.
- Little things like biking to work, taking the stairs, and staying active in the home all add up over the long run.
- If you live with family or roommates, ask them if you can toss the unhealthy foods in the cupboards or if they can at least hide them. You want as few temptations as possible.
- Consult a doctor before undertaking any extreme dieting or exercise routine. They will be able to tell you whether or not your diet plan or exercise plan is safe and appropriate for you.
- If you want to lose more than 5 pounds, check out How to Lose Two Pounds a Week.
Sources and Citations
In other languages:
Italiano: , Deutsch: , Español: , Français: , 中文: , Русский: , Português: , Bahasa Indonesia: , Nederlands: , Čeština: , العربية:
Video: HOW I LOST 5 LBS IN ONE WEEK: WHAT I EAT IN A DAY TO LOSE WEIGHT | Healthy Food Diary
Medical and Healthy benefits of Drum stick Moringa oleifera
The Secret to Runway-Ready Dewy Skin This Lip Pencil (Yes, We Said LipPencil)
How to Have Fun Giving Your Dog a Flea Bath
5 Uplifting Stories That Will Make Your Day
Sneaker Stores in Bangkok
Rack of lamb with potato and celeriac dauphinoise
This Happy Dog Photobombing The Pope Will Make Your Day
The new must-have hair trend
Hold That Pose: Yoga May Ease Tough Depression
How to Get Someones Facebook Password
Your SpreadTheHealth Challenge: Move More
How to Make a Wind Vane
Companies opting for disgrace insurance against celebrities
How to Play Air Guitar