How to Figure out What to Wear Wherever You Go
While some people have an innate sense of what to wear no matter where they're going, for others, it's a real challenge. If you're in the latter camp and find sorting out the right clothes for each occasion and place a royal pain, you're in need of some quick and easy advice. Perfecting an outfit so that you get it right each time will require some forethought about comfort, suitability and what looks best on you. Once you've worked out these things, you'll be able to apply the method from this point on.
Think about the event before the day or evening it happens.This will help relieve you of those last-minute insane dashes through an entire wardrobe. The things to cover include:
- What is the event? Is it formal, semi-formal, or all-out casual but nice? Is it a formal party or are you just casually hanging with your friends?
- What season is it?
- What will the weather/temperature probably be on the day/night?
Consider your trusted confidantes.These might be friends, a spouse, your children, etc. Then make use of them for the following questions:
- What are you wearing? (Only needed if you're in so much doubt, you can't figure out what to choose.)
- Which of my outfits do you think I look great in?
Check the chosen clothes beforehand.Fix up any tears, loose hems, stains, etc. or get them to a dry cleaners.
Choosing the clothing
Choose according to season.If it is cold, wear warmer clothing, if it is hot, wear cooler clothing. If you really must wear something you'll freeze in, add a coat or jacket. Do not wear anything you'll boil in, it is nigh on impossible to feel comfortable and you may faint or get heat stroke.
Choose by style.It might be fashionable, but does it fit and look great on you? If not, don't force yourself into it. Instead, stick with whatever makes you look wonderful. Gone are the days when only one style ruled the roost. You are liberated enough now to be able to choose what brings forth your best features. It's okay if it's not the textbook outfit to wear, it's more important that you feel confident with what you have on.
- You can give a nod to current trends by adding an accessory that sums up the trend, be it by color, shape or logo.
Make sure all of your clothing fits nicely.When everything is popping out or you can't distinguish your frame, the look fails to present you at your best. If something is really great and not in your size, get it tailored. A well-tailored outfit is always worth the effort and expense.
Consider comfort.Fashion doesn't always care about comfort but you should, especially if whatever you're going to requires you to stand a long time, or sit on hard seats, or be blown about by a cold breeze while pretending to like the weather. Think about the venue too––heels on a lawn party will soon grow really exhausting, while running around in just a bikini at the pool party will be less desirable when it comes time to evening drinks indoors at the bar.
Use layers.These are especially useful when you are not sure what the day holds; a cute knee length skirt, layered tanks, and a light jacket will go almost anywhere. Peel or add layers to add or subtract formality. At nighttime, add some eye liner, high heels, maybe an over sized accessory and you'll get a whole new nighttime look.
Prefer simplicity over all else.Tons of accessories aren't necessary. Stick to your main piece and build around it with things that complement it.
- Remember texture, prints, and colors. Contrast is nice, but when everything clashes, it's going to spoil your whole presentation.
- A scarf is cute, whether it is a silk Hermès scarf or a knitted Burberry scarf.
Wear minimal make-up if you're going all out with the clothes and more attention-grabbing makeup if your clothing is more simple (e.g.: red lipstick and eyeliner).
Own it.If you show up in a place and realize you're dressed completely wrong, own it. Make it seem like you did it on purpose—people will admire you rather than be embarrassed for you.
QuestionWhat should I wear to my friend's birthday? I am a 15 year old girl, tall and slim. It's August and the weather is quite good.wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerWear something fun and bright and add a purse/bag of any sort. Try to make sure your accessories are big, colorful and eye popping. After that just keep your makeup simple and you're good to go!Thanks!
QuestionWhat should I wear to go out to dinner?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerWear something classical and sophisticated. Feel free to add fun and cute accessories. Make sure it's comfortable because you will be sitting for a while.Thanks!
QuestionWhat should I wear for going to town in August?Manisha MaityCommunity AnswerTry wearing nude colors. Wear simple, yet comfy dresses. You can wear a cute top and a good pair of black or distressed jeans. Don't experiment with bright colors.Thanks!
QuestionWhat should I wear for my friend's party in a fancy restaurant?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerWear a nice comfortable dress and some nice plain boots that complement the dress.Thanks!
QuestionWhat should I wear to meet my daughter's new boyfriend?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerConsider wearing something appropriate. You want to make an impression. For example a pair of jeans and a blouse and shoes or simply put a nice comfortable dress on.Thanks!
QuestionWhat is appropriate for a young teenager to wear when out to dinner with a friend's family?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerDress similar to how your friend would dress to the dinner. Wear something you feel comfortable in that doesn't show too much skin. Unless it is a fancy restaurant, you can wear the same clothes that you wear to school. If it is a fancy restaurant, wear a jacket and nice trousers or a dress.Thanks!
QuestionWhat should I wear if I am visiting a family whose relative just died?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerJust wear something plain, preferably black or dark in color, no fancy accessories, garish prints, etc.Thanks!
QuestionWhat should I wear to a family reunion dinner as a teenager?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerWear a dress, which is quite comfy and attractive. Pair it with some heels and simple accessories to make it look even nicer.Thanks!
QuestionWhat should I wear if I am going to a board game cafe with a teen group in cool weather?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerTry dark skinny jeans, a cute top, and boots. Add a sweater and a scarf if necessary, and maybe a chunky bracelet.Thanks!
QuestionWhat should you wear if you are going skating and you want to be able to move, but you want to be cute for someone?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYou should wear a cute pair of running shorts if it's warm or leggings if not. Then wear a baggy t-shirt with the leggings or a crop top with the shorts.Thanks!
I don't like dresses, skirts, or anything fancy. Also, it's very hot. What should I wear to school?
What should I wear to a gathering of only girls if I'm a new adult?
How do I figure out what to wear wherever I go if I am a young teen?
What should I wear to go to breakfast with friends?
- If you are going out with friends just stay casual and comfy. You don't want to be uncomfortable.
- Here is a list of general outfit suggestions:
- Casual day with friends or running errands or daytime date; sundress in a casual cotton, or a casual skirt that is easy and long enough to move in, or a pair of Capri pants or jeans with a t-shirt or tank top that flatters your shape (layer for color), flats or kitten heels, a long layered type of necklace and an unassuming bracelet and/or ring.
- Place of religious worship: always a skirt below the knee, no shoulder or back visible, cardigans, nice khakis.
- Pool party: a well-fitting swim suit that you can move comfortably in, a tunic top (doubles as a cover-up) over jean shorts (make sure the shorts are not hidden under the top); try adding a belt loosely over your hip bones; a sundress; or the casual day outfit. Accessories like floppy hats, ornate flip flops, chunky necklaces that dangle, and sunglasses will add to the look.
- Wedding: Find out how dressy the wedding party will be and dress similarly - black is suitable for nighttime weddings. Never wear white - it is the bride's color.
- Night on the town look: Enhancing your eye make-up gives a nice look - use more eyeliner or just smudge the eyeliner you have on with a Q-Tip or clean finger. Pick one body part to feature. If you are wearing a backless shirt wear a longer skirt(try a classic pencil skirt or a nice A-line) or a pair of dark well-fitting jeans. Heels - but keep an "emergency" pair of flip flops in your car or bag if it is big enough.
- Makeup: When wearing makeup, enhance one facial part. For example - red lips should be paired with a subtle eye shadow/liner, and a dramatic smoky eye should be paired with a sheer gloss or something subtle.
- Always try to look like a stunner.
- Experiment Experiment Experiment. Find someone who has a style you always seem to compliment and take notes. What they wear might not look great on you, but how they wear colors, cuts, and prints may.
- If it's a dress up party always go over the top! But make sure you come up with an original idea and don't copy anyone else. Ideas for dress ups could include Miss Universe, a celebrity or even a fairytale character.
- Don't wear something you wouldn't feel yourself in, instead wear something you feel comfortable.
- Don't copy exactly what everyone else is wearing. — Just get a feel of the style that people will be wearing.
- Always ask more than one other person's advice (but make sure you show that you have an idea that you know what you like, so it doesn't seem like you really have no clue at all).
Video: WHAT TO WEAR WHEN YOU HAVE NOTHING TO WEAR! OUTFIT IDEAS 2017
The Boob Fashion Trend That Is Taking Over in 2019
How to Make a Rub for a Roast
The return of the curtain: Could the worst 90s hairstyle of all be making a comeback
Garden-Style Ravioli Recipe
Other Important Terms
6 Science-Backed Tips For Avoiding Holiday Weight Gain
80 Ironman Tattoo Designs For Men – Triathlon Ink Ideas
LeBron James, Ben Simmons Justin Biebers Sneaker Game Is Next Level At NYFW
How to Survive Your First Outing With Baby
Kim Kardashian Talks Her Love of Makeup, Kylie’s Signature Look withPixiWoo