How to Clean Stains off a Suede Purse
Suede, a buttery-smooth leather, is one of the trendiest fabrics around for clothing and accessories.A suede purse adds a beautiful textural element to any outfit. The downside to suede, however, is that it can be tricky to clean. Because water stains suede, you’ll need to try non-traditional cleaning methods to get stains out of your suede purse.
Using an Eraser
Blot the stain and allow it to dry, if necessary.If the stain isn’t already dry, you can attempt to blot up some of the liquid. Be careful to lightly dab it, soaking up the liquid rather than pressing it deeper into the suede.Once you think you’ve blotted up as much as you can, allow it to air dry. You can try other methods once it’s no longer wet.
Brush the dry stain with a suede brush.You can buy these at Target, on Amazon, or even at your local pharmacy. Aside from cleaning up mishaps, a suede brush can be used regularly to help maintain the look of your suede clothing and accessories, so it’s a smart purchase. Before you do anything, you’ll need to brush the stain thoroughly with a suede brush.
- You’ll be removing the top, outer layer of dirt first. Brush in one direction as you remove these bigger particles.
- Alternatively, you could use a nail brush, toothbrush, or a soft scrub brush, although a suede brush is best.
- Once you’ve gotten the surface dirt off, you’ll need to scrub with a bit more force. You can also start scrubbing in both directions to tackle the deeper, ground-in stains.
- Along with removing dirt, brushing the area of the stain will help you reach the deeper stains with your next methods.
Rub the stain with a white eraser.You can find an eraser specifically made for suede, but a large pencil eraser will also work. Use a white eraser to clean your suede, because you risk staining your suede with a colored eraser. Don’t begin this step until you’re confident you’ve brushed out any dirt or dried pieces with the suede brush.
- Lightly begin to rub the stain with the eraser. After a little bit of rubbing, you should see the stain start to lift.
- Continue working the eraser on the suede until the stain has been removed.
- You could use fine-grain sandpaper as an alternative to an eraser, if desired. A piece of stale bread will even work in a pinch! Rub it over the stain until it begins to crumble.
Brush the stained area again to blend out the suede.After rubbing a spot with an eraser, it’s likely that the suede will be a little matted down and uneven. To get your purse looking as good as new, rub your suede brush all over the surface. This will “re-fluff” the suede, and no one will know you ever had a stain!
Working With Vinegar or Rubbing Alcohol
Test the vinegar or rubbing alcohol on a small, hidden part of the purse.Only try this method if using an eraser didn’t work. It's important to do a test run before applying the liquid all over the stain, just in case it reacts badly with the particular suede you are working with. Dab a bit of the liquid onto the spot you've chosen, and allow it to dry. Make sure that it doesn't leave any unsightly marks.
- Examples of unnoticeable spots on your purse might be the underside of the strap, or the bottom of the purse.
- While vinegar and rubbing alcohol both work well, they work best on different types of stains. For example, white vinegar works well on environmental stains like salt, dirt, and even food. Rubbing alcohol works best on the more "intense" stains, like ink.
Rub the white vinegar or rubbing alcohol into the stain with a white washcloth.Once you know the suede doesn't have a terrible reaction to the liquid, pour it onto a white washcloth. It’s important to use a white cloth to avoid any color transfer from a colored one. While water stains suede, rubbing alcohol and white vinegar do not.
- You shouldn't rub violently, but rather press the cloth into the stain so that you are sure the liquid is soaking into it fully.
- Once you’ve thoroughly covered the surface of the stain with either rubbing alcohol or white vinegar, let it air dry.You really won’t know how well it worked until it’s fully dry.
- The vinegar can leave an odor on the suede, but that will dissipate after a bit of time.
Use the suede brush to complete the process.Once the liquid dries, go over the area with a suede brush until the area blends in. If necessary, you may also want to rub the stain down with the eraser as well.
- Once you’re done, assess your handiwork and decide if you need to repeat the process.
Cleaning With Cornstarch
Grab some cornstarch if the stain is greasy or oily.Whether a lip gloss leaked or you got some butter on your purse at a restaurant, these greasy stains are stubborn. Cornstarch is your secret weapon. The cornstarch works by soaking the oil right out of the stain.
Sprinkle the stain with cornstarch and let it sit overnight.When you’ve fully covered the stain, pat it into the suede gently. Then, let the cornstarch sit and work its magic. After 12 hours, gently shake the purse over a trash can so the cornstarch comes off.As the cornstarch falls away, hopefully that pesky oil stain will too.
Brush out the area on your purse.Going over the area with a suede brush will remove the remnants of the cornstarch. It will also blend out the area so it doesn’t stand out from the rest of the purse. If everything has gone well, you won’t be able to tell that there was ever a stain.
QuestionI have traces of red ink on the inside of my suede purse. How can I remove it without damaging the suede?
Founder, Mulberry Maids, LLCFounder, Mulberry Maids, LLCExpert AnswerYou can try pouring rubbing alcohol on the stain. Let the rubbing alcohol fully dry then try using the eraser or sandpaper to pull out the ink. Finish the work using a suede brush to restore the fibers.Thanks!
QuestionHow can I remove pen ink from suede gloves?
Founder, Mulberry Maids, LLCFounder, Mulberry Maids, LLCExpert AnswerIf the ink has already settled, try to lift the stain with rubbing alcohol. You may also need to scrub the stain with an eraser and finish it off with a suede brush. For future ink stains, try to dab it up with a white washcloth or paper towel before it fully dries.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I clean a Kate Spade suede purse?
Founder, Mulberry Maids, LLCFounder, Mulberry Maids, LLCExpert AnswerYou can try using the suede brush and eraser, as mentioned in the article. However, you can always take your handbag to a professional to do a preventative cleaning. This is recommended every 1-2 years to keep your purse in great condition. Ask your local dry cleaner, leather shop, or upscale department store if they care for suede items to get a professional clean.Thanks!
QuestionHow can I get rid of mold on a black suede purse?
Founder, Mulberry Maids, LLCFounder, Mulberry Maids, LLCExpert AnswerFirst, scrub the mold off the purse with a suede brush. Although you don't typically want to leave your suede item out in the sun for too long because you don't want to risk fading, when you are dealing with mold, you may want to hang your purse out in the sun for a couple hours to help kill the bacteria. After the item is fully dry and warm, try using the suede brush again. You can try using a suede eraser as well.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I get water marks off my suede handbag?
Founder, Mulberry Maids, LLCFounder, Mulberry Maids, LLCExpert AnswerYou can try using a suede brush and an eraser to get rid of the marks on your bag. This will help lift the nap of the dampened suede and pick up dirt that settled into your purse. Finish by using the suede brush again.Thanks!
QuestionWhere do I buy cornstarch?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYou should be able to buy cornstarch from any grocery store.Thanks!
How do I remove grease from suede?
How de I remove grease from suede?
- Spray the purse with a stain repellant and suede protector spray before you use it.You can find these items online or from a leather specialty store.
- Avoid keeping suede purses in storage containers or plastic bags. In order to keep your purse soft and beautiful, let the suede breathe.
Video: HOW TO REMOVE STAINS FROM SUEDE AND NUBUCK WITHOUT USING A SHOE CLEANER
Philips Laser-Guided Beard Trimmer 9000
Enhance Your Eyes In 3 SimpleSteps
Tweezerman Gets a Facelift from CynthiaRowley
Neymar Jr For Police Eyewear
28 Magnificent Movember Moustaches (And The Characters Behind Them)
The Greatist Teams Favorite Leggings With Pockets
How to Assess the Advantages of Hydroponic Gardening for Your Needs
Skewered Greek Salad
We Grew Closer On the Day My Marriage Almost Ended
This 10-Minute Kayla Itsines GIF Workout Tones Your Entire Body
5 Ways to Learn
The Most Skin-Friendly, Low Maintenece Makeover
Top 10 Best Hair Cream For Men – Handsomely Controlled Haired