How to Buy a Cubic Zirconia Ring
Cubic zirconia (CZ) is the most widely-bought diamond alternative on the market. Like other synthetic stones, CZ differs from the real thing in that is it flawless, it does not refract as much white light, it is cut differently (to compensate for differences in light refraction), and the cut edges (facets) of CZ are smooth and rounded, as opposed to the sharp, hard facets of diamond cuts. Regardless of these differences, shopping for a CZ ring is very similar to shopping for a diamond ring in that you must educate yourself on ring styles and stone quality, and must as well choose between a number of available sources. Follow these steps to buy a cubic zirconia ring.
Gather basic information.Before you can order any type of ring, you must know what you are shopping for.
- Cubic zirconia rings are sized on the same scale as any other type of ring. You may find your ring size using a standard sizer, or you may go into any jeweler and have them size your finger for you.
- Remember that you have the same style options with CZ as you do with any type of precious stone, so will need to choose between circle, oval, pear, princess and square cuts. Additionally, you may be able to find a CZ ring featuring any of a variety of rarer shapes, such as a heart, star or octagon.
- As cubic zirconia rings can be found at a variety of price points, it is also helpful to have a budget in mind before you start shopping.
Familiarize yourself with CZ quality grading.Just as with diamonds, cubic zirconia stones are graded according to carat, color, clarity and cut, on a scale of A to AAAAA � A being the lowest and AAAAA being the highest.
- Carat is the stone's size, or weight.
- Most cubic zirconia stones are white in color (the equivalent of a perfect diamond). Note that colored CZ may have some color irregularities.
- Clarity refers to the cloudiness (or lack thereof) of a stone, as well as its flaws. CZ is rarely, if ever, cloudy or flawed. Its perfection is the most give-away indicator that it is not a real diamond.
- The cut of a stone determines how it refracts light, and a well-cut, high-quality stone will be cut in a way to provide as much white light ("ice") as possible. Conversely, the more colored-light ("fire") a stone refracts, the lower the quality of the stone.
Choose a setting.Just like diamonds, cubic zirconia stones can be placed in a multitude of settings. You can find setting styles by browsing through any jewelry catalog, or by searching online.
- Retail department stores often carry a selection of preset cubic zirconia rings, at relatively inexpensive prices.
- Jewelry stores carry higher-grade CZ jewelry, and will even set a loose stone for you in order to create a custom CZ ring.
- Wholesalers sell cubic zirconia jewelry, as well as loose stones. An online search will produce a multitude of CZ wholesalers that you can shop with.
Comparison shop.Before you purchase a CZ ring, take the time to compare rings you like from an array of available sources. Take into account style, price and quality when weighing your options.
QuestionIs a Nexus diamond a cubic zirconia?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerA cubic zirconia stone is made out of zirconium oxide, which is just zirconium and oxygen. This means that a cubic zirconia contains no carbon. A Nexus diamond contains carbon, along with 9 other elements making it, chemically, much closer to a diamond than a CZ.Thanks!
- If you choose to shop wholesalers for cubic zirconia rings, be sure to ask about overstock specials.
- When factoring the quality of colored cubic zirconia, assess color evenness, richness of tone and rarity of hue. A high-quality colored CZ stone will be even throughout, and will possess a deep, rich color. Also, the harder it is to find a color, the more expensive it typically is.
- Don't assume others won't be able to tell the difference between a cubic zirconia ring and a diamond ring. Even to the untrained eye, it is not difficult to identify CZ.
- If you are purchasing a CZ ring for someone else, it is a good idea to ask about return/exchange policies and warranties before committing. Jewelry is a personal item that is meant to suit the style and personal tastes of the person who is wearing it, so you can never be sure that the ring you choose will be favorably accepted by the recipient.
Video: Why Would I Buy Cubic Zirconia Instead Of A Diamond?
7 Things You Really Should Know Before Visiting a Spa
5 Best Online Deals: Outerwear
The Best Halloween Food Ideas for Your Adult Gathering
Halibut Recipe: Lemon and Herb Poached Halibut
8 Wintertime Tips for Dry Eczema Skin
7 of the Most Common Period Symptoms, and 7 Easy, ExpertFixes
How to Build a Torsion Box Workbench Top
50 Inspiring Celebrity Quotes on FemaleEmpowerment
Hilary Duff Opens Up About Her Separation From Mike Comrie
Fashion Powerhouse Michael Costello Rejected by New York Modeling Agencies
50 Rad Tattoos For Men – Radical Body Art Design Ideas
How to Wear Oxford Shoes
Powerball jackpotwinner has played the same numbers for 25 years
Jeremy Clarkson To Earn 15M Per Year With Amazon
The 20-Minute Bodyweight Workout This CrossFit Champ Swears By