Poaching is a delicious and healthy way to prepare fish while keeping it super tender. In this dish, the halibut is mostly covered, but not submerged, in a fragrant broth of chicken stock, lemon, fresh spring herbs, garlic, and peppercorns, and gently cooked while the broth simmers. The result is a moist, flaky piece of fish with fresh, flavorful undertones, and a beautiful meal in just 20 minutes!
I love serving this with haricot vert (skinny french green beans), steamed asparagus, or sautéed dark leafy greens, like Swiss chard, kale, or spinach.
What You'll Need:
2 6-oz. halibut fillets
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 shallot, minced
3 cups chicken stock
3 lemons, juiced and zested
8 fresh thyme sprigs
8 fresh parsley sprigs
8 fresh basil leaves
3 cloves garlic, smashed
1/2 teaspoon peppercorns
What to Do:
- Heat oil in a medium, straight-sided pan over medium-low heat.
- Add the shallot and cook, without letting it brown, until fragrant and translucent, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in the stock, lemon juice and zest, herbs, garlic, and peppercorns. Bring the mixture to a simmer.
- While the poaching liquid heats up, season both sides of the halibut fillets with salt.
- Reduce heat to low and add the halibut to the pan. Cover and cook 8 to 10 minutes, or until the fish is opaque and flaky, but not dry.
- Remove the fish from the pan.
- Strain the poaching liquid, discarding the solids.
- Serve fish in a shallow bowl on top of your vegetable of choice. (Some nice brown or jasmine rice would work, too!) Top with broth and garnish with fresh herbs.
Video: Slow Oil-Poached Halibut Over Broccolini
How to Make Free Calls on Android with Google Voice
Vegetable Patties Recipe
How to Teach Children About Earth Day
New York Fashion Week SS14: Marie Claire’s Top 5 Beauty Looks
Valentino Trainers: AW14 Collection
MORE:40 of Couples Sleep in Separate Beds: Study
How to Eat Cheaply at a Fast Food Restaurant
Emotions That Lead to Overeating and Weight Gain
Sad News For The Duchess of Cambridge, As The Death Of Her Former Voice Coach Is Announced
Conjure up some Moroccan Magic
Healthouse Las Dunas Review: A Weekend In Spain’s Best Health Hotel’
17 Chic Celebrities Who Successfully Styled Their Blazers asDresses
Evening Standard Theatre Awards: 5 Looks That Ruled The Red Carpet