6 Tasty Tomato Recipes
You've waited all year. Now is the perfect time to savor tomatoes in fresh and healthy recipes. Summer tomatoes not only taste better than their out-of-season counterparts but also contain higher amounts of vitamin C. Eat tomatoes raw to get vitamins C, A, and K as well as potassium. Cook them to get the maximum amount of lycopene, a heart-protective, cancer-fighting antioxidant that becomes more concentrated when the fruit is heated.
Try these super-healthy ways to use heirloom, cherry, and beefsteak tomatoes.
PREP TIME:15 minutes / TOTAL TIME:45 minutes / SERVINGS:
1 refrigerated store-bought pie crust
½ c part-skim ricotta
¼ c goat cheese, at room temperature
2 Tbsp pesto
¾ lb assorted heirloom tomatoes, sliced
1 lg egg, slightly beaten
1. HEAToven to 425°F with rack in center position.
2. UNFOLDdough and roll into a 13" circle. Transfer to baking sheet. Mix cheeses together and spread over crust, leaving a 1½" border. Distribute pesto and tomatoes evenly on top. Fold edges of dough over tomatoes, leaving center exposed. Brush top of dough with egg.
3. BAKEuntil golden brown, about 30 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve.
NUTRITION(per serving) 243 cal, 7 g pro, 20 g carb, 1 g fiber, 16 g fat, 7 g sat fat, 296 mg sodium
Rice-Stuffed Tomatoes with Shrimp
PREP TIME:15 minutes / TOTAL TIME:45 minutes / SERVINGS:6
6 lg tomatoes
1 lg shallot, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1½ Tbsp butter
1 c Arborio rice
1 c dry white wine
3 c reduced-sodium chicken broth
¼ lb cooked shrimp, halved
2 Tbsp torn parsley
1. SLICE¼" off tops of tomatoes and scoop out pulp.
2. COOKshallot and garlic in 1 Tbsp butter in pan over medium heat, 3 minutes. Stir in rice. Add wine. Simmer until almost evaporated, about 5 minutes. Add broth ½ cup at a time until each is absorbed and rice is tender, 20 minutes.
3. STIRin shrimp, parsley, and ½ Tbsp butter. Season to taste. Serve in tomatoes.
NUTRITION(per serving) 254 cal, 10 g pro, 39 g carb, 3 g fiber, 4 g fat, 2 g sat fat, 281 mg sodium
Tomato & Avocado Salad
PREP TIME:10 minutes / TOTAL TIME:10 minutes / SERVINGS:4
1½ lb tomatoes, thinly sliced
1 avocado, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbsp fresh cilantro leaves
1. LAYERtomatoes and avocado on platter. Drizzle lime juice and oil over top.
2. SPRINKLEwith cilantro and salt to taste.
NUTRITION(per serving) 120 cal, 2 g pro, 10 g carb, 4 g fiber, 9 g fat, 1 g sat fat, 12 mg sodium
MORE: 29 Awesome Avocado Recipes
Pork Chops With Tomato Succotash
PREP TIME:15 minutes /TOTAL TIME:35 minutes / SERVINGS:6
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 slice bacon, chopped
2 c fresh corn kernels
1 c frozen shelled edamame (about 5 oz), thawed
2 bell peppers, chopped
1 med onion, chopped
1½ lb grape tomatoes, halved
¼ c chopped fresh chives
6 thin bone-in center-cut pork chops (about 6 oz each)
1. HEAT1 Tbsp of the oil in skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until crisp, 3 minutes. Stir in corn, edamame, bell peppers, and onion. Cook, stirring, over medium-high heat, 6 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook, stirring, until they begin to wilt, about 2 minutes. Put in serving bowl with chives.
2. HEATremaining 1 Tbsp oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Season pork with salt and black pepper. Cook until golden brown and cooked through, 7 minutes. Serve chops topped with succotash.
NUTRITION(per serving) 366 cal, 28 g pro, 19 g carb, 4 g fiber, 20 g fat, 4 g sat fat, 176 mg sodium
Halibut With Tomatoes & Olives
PREP TIME:10 minutes /TOTAL TIME:25 minutes / SERVINGS:4
2 cloves garlic, smashed
2 Tbsp olive oil
1½ lb sm tomatoes, quartered
3 Tbsp chopped pitted kalamata olives
1 Tbsp chopped marjoram
4 halibut or other fish fillets (6 oz each)
¼ c fresh whole wheat bread crumbs
1. HEATbroiler. Cook garlic in 1 Tbsp oil in broiler-safe pan over medium heat, 1 minute. Add tomatoes, olives, and marjoram. Simmer until tomatoes have wilted, 5 minutes. Add fish, skin side down, and cook until almost done, about 6 minutes.
2. TOPfish with crumbs. Broil until crumbs are golden and fish is done, 1 to 2 minutes.
3. SERVEfish with sauce and drizzle with 1 Tbsp oil.
NUTRITION(per serving) 306 cal, 37 g pro, 9 g carb, 2 g fiber, 13 g fat, 1.5 g sat fat, 232 mg sodium
MORE: 7 Heart-Healthy Fish Recipes
Marinated Tomato & Mozzarella Pasta
PREP TIME:15 minutes / TOTAL TIME:25 minutes / SERVINGS:
1 lb grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
4 oz bocconcini (about 12 sm mozzarella balls), halved
1/2 c torn fresh basil
1/4 c red wine vinegar
1½ Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 lb rigatoni, preferably whole wheat
1 c shredded cooked chicken breast
1. MIXtogether tomatoes, bocconcini, basil, vinegar, and oil in serving bowl. Let stand 10 minutes.
2. COOKpasta per package directions until al dente while tomatoes stand. Drain. Add hot pasta and chicken to tomato mixture, stirring to coat well. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Top with fresh basil leaves, if desired.
Video: 5 Healthy & Hearty Fall Soups
Heart Attack Severity May Depend on Time of Day
How to Be Happy Everyday
How to Access Master Packs on Star Wars: Card Trader
How to Treat Your Girlfriend
Alexander Wangs Spring 2019 Campaign Has Zero Models
The Olsen Edit: What to Buy If the Sisters Are Your Forever Muses
Why do freckles appear – Home remedies for freckles
Sadie Frost enlists A-list friends for charity auction
How to Make Free Calls on Android with Google Voice
Janelle Monáe publicly came out as pansexual
5 Ways to Maximize Your Retirement Savings
10 Types of Boots Were All Going to Be Wearing This Season
7 Easy Tips To Get Clear Skin Quickly
Get Excited: Yeezy Boost 750s Are Coming ThisWeekend
What Prince Harry and Meghan Markles signatures reveal about them